A new arrival is on the way, so you’re likely thinking about the perfect baby name. With so many choices, it’s not always an easy task. It helps to think about baby names within themes to narrow down your options, such as with Chinese girl names. We included 200 Chinese names for female babies, so if this is your focus, you’re probably going to enjoy this helpful article! These include common, popular, unique, cute, cool, and beautiful Chinese girl names—and we’ve included a look at the traditions behind baby names in Chinese culture.
Traditions Behind Chinese Female Names
In Chinese culture, names consist of a 姓 (xìng)—family name—and a 名 (míng)—given name—and these have no space between them when written in special characters. Many factors play a role in the choice of a given name. Some of these factors are:
Predictions by fortune tellers. With the assistance of a feng shui master, parents and guardians can make predictions about what life may have in store for a little one. If the predictions are positive, names that affirm this future can be given. If the prediction is perceived negative, a name with the desired future for the child is given.
Complex calculations. Sometimes, choosing the name of a child may involve several calculations that could include zodiac signs and astrological events occurring around the time of birth. With this method, parents often come up with a unique and memorable Chinese name for their baby, especially if there are significant happenings around their arrival.
The name's meaning. Chinese names for girls tend to have great meanings and are full of character. So, for example, if parents are looking for a name that symbolizes the love for nature or that symbolizes strength, there are wonderful Chinese names to pick from.
Generation of birth. Many common Chinese names are given based on the generation the child is born in. This is done to indicate which family members are seniors or juniors and conveys respect, which in Chinese culture is very important.
RELATED PREGNANCY TOOL
Filter by gender:
Filter by theme:
Common and Popular Chinese Girl Names
Now that we've covered some insights about the tradition of choosing a name in Chinese culture, let’s explore this list of the current top Chinese girl names.
1. Ài (爱). What is a popular Chinese girl name? We’re starting with a top option, a name that means “love” and “affection” and is fit for a little princess. This short and sweet name is one of the most popular Chinese baby girl names and the perfect option if you’re looking for girl names that start with A.
2. Ǎi (蔼). This name is similar to the name Ài. Despite having the same spelling and pronunciation in English, Ǎi and Ài are different in the Chinese language. Ǎi means “friendly” or “lush,” which is just as beautiful as Ài.
3. Chun (春). Another common Chinese girl name you could select is Chun. It’s pronounced CHWUN and means “spring.” Just like the season brings forth good things, so shall your baby girl.
4. Fang (芳). Meaning “fragrance,” this popular Chinese girl name is also a unique baby girl name. It means “virtuous” or “beautiful.”
5. Fēn (芬). If you have a sweet girl on your hands, this name may be fitting for her. It can mean “scent, aroma, or perfume” and is pronounced FUN.
6. Hua (花). Another pretty Chinese girl name, Hua is pronounced KHWAH and means “flower.”
7. Jing (静). Do you wish for your little princess to have a calm and quiet future? Then you might want to consider the name Jing. It’s pronounced CHEENG and means “peace or quiet.”
8. Li (丽). Li is one of the top Chinese girl names that mean “pretty.” This sweet name is pronounced LEE.
9. Min (敏). Meaning “clever,” Min is a Chinese and Korean name for little girls and also for boys.
10. Xiāng (香). Another name meaning “fragrance,” this cool Chinese girl’s name is pronounced SHYAHNG.
More Common and Popular Chinese Girl Names
Popular girl names are always wise choices because they’re familiar! Whether you have Chinese roots and want to feel more connected to your heritage or simply love a certain name, you can't go wrong. Take a look at the list of more popular Chinese girl names with the meanings behind them.
11. Mei (美). The most common Chinese female names have meanings like “flower,” “beauty,” “love,” or “elegant.” The name Mei, for instance, means “beauty or beautiful.” It’s pronounced MAY—a pretty name for a pretty girl.
12. Mèng yáo (梦瑶). This name is made of two Chinese girl names: Mèng, which is pronounced MUNG and means “dream” or “vision,” and Yáo, which means “jade.” The beauty is that you can make a rare Chinese name for your girl by picking two names or words you love.
13. Xīn yán (欣妍). Another top name with a similar meaning to Mei is Xīn yán, meaning “beauty” and “vitality.” This lovely name is pronounced SHEEN-YEHN.14. Xīn yí (欣怡). Pronounced SHEEN-EE, this name can mean “happy” or “quiet” and could suit a cheerful little girl.
15. Xiù (秀). If you wish your daughter to have elegance and grace, then you may want to consider this name. It can mean “elegant,” “luxuriant,” “beautiful,” or “graceful” and is pronounced SHYO.
16. Yáng (阳). This cute name means “sun” and is an adorable name for a little princess. It’s pronounced YAHNG and is also gender neutral.
17. Yīng (英). Meaning “flower” or “wise,” this is a great choice if you want to go for a cute Chinese name for girls.
18. Yī nuò (诺). Here is another Chinese girl name with a strong meaning, “one promise.” It could be an especially good choice for your little one if a fortune teller predicted a big mission in her future. In Chinese, there’s a similar name that means “follow promise” and is written 依诺.
19. Yù míng (玉明). Meaning “jade brightness,” this is another good Chinese baby girl name. It’s pronounced UY-MEENG.
20. Zhi (智). One other popular girls’ name that may be perfect for your bundle of joy could be Zhi. It’s pronounced CHEE and means “intellect or wisdom.” Your baby will share this name with Lu Zhi, who was China’s first female empress.
Beautiful and Pretty Chinese Girl Names
Some names are so sweet and beautiful that they melt your heart! If you’re on the lookout for a pretty baby girl name, make sure to go through the list below. We’ve compiled some beautiful and pretty Chinese names for girls for you to consider.
21. Ah Lam. Meaning “peace,” this sweet girl name is pronounced AH LUM and is perfect for a little angel.
22. An. Another beautiful name you may want to consider for your little girl is the name An. It means “peaceful” and is pronounced AHN.
23. Bai. Such a pretty name for any little princess! This name can mean “purity” or “white” and is pronounced PIE.
24. Bao. Meaning “gem,” this is a wonderful choice for Chinese baby girl names. It’s pronounced POW.
25. Bo. Pronounced PWAW, Bo means “precious” and can be a great name choice.
26. Caihong. Another great pick for a beautiful Chinese girl name is Caihong, which means “rainbow.”
27. Chang. Want your baby girl to soar? Consider the name Chang, which means “free.”
28. Chow. Meaning “summertime,” this name is perfect if your little one was born during summer. It’s a time of happiness and adventure, and with any luck your little girl can experience these in her life.
29. Chunhua. Another wonderful seasonal name you may like is Chunhua. It’s pronounced CHWUN-KHWAH and means “spring flower.”
30. Ehuang. What is the prettiest Chinese name for a girl? What could be better than Ehuang, which literally means “beautiful”?
More Beautiful and Pretty Chinese Girl Names
If you’re looking for a few more Chinese names for girls that are beautiful or pretty, check out the list below.
RELATED ARTICLEBaby NamesTop 1,000 Girl Names to Inspire You!
Rare and Unique Chinese Girl Names
While a traditional name can be a great choice, you may be hoping to give your daughter something a bit more unique. So, what are some rare Chinese girl names? You may find this list of rare and unique options helpful.
41. Chan-Juan. Meaning “the moon,” this is a special name that could symbolize your shining light in the dark. It’s made of two names—Chan, pronounced KAHN, and Juan. pronounced CHWEHN.
42. Chao-Xing. This beautiful and poetic name means “morning star” and is fitting for a little girl destined to bring light to your family.
43. Chen. Pronounced CHUN, this unique Chinese girl name means “dawn” or “morning.” It may be popular in some regions in China, so if you're looking for something more unusual, you may want to use it as a middle name or add another name to it for a different spin.
44. Chyou. If you’re looking for a seasonally inspired name for your little one, consider Chyou! It’s pronounced CH-yoo and means “autumn.”
45. Dai Lu. Planning to teach your girl to make her own path in life? Then this name could be the right choice—it means “lead the way.” With this unique name, your girl will have namesakes such as Chinese actress Dai Lu Wa.
46. Dongmei. Want a symbol of hope? Then you’ve found the best female Chinese name for that. Meaning “winter plums,” it's a name that offers hope and cheer as winters in China can be harsh and the winter plums are the first to blossom.
47. Eu-Meh. This cute and unique Chinese girl name means “especially beautiful” or “gorgeous.” With this name, your daughter will have undeniable beauty. It’s pronounced YOO-MEH and is a great option!
48. Kai-Ming. If you’re an open-minded family and planning to raise your newest family addition similarly, Kai-Ming is a beautiful, well-fitting choice! It means “open-minded.”
49. Kexin. This is definitely a name that you’d want for your little one! It means “dependable or faithful,” and with a name like this you can always count on your little girl.
50. Lihua. Pronounced LEE-KHWA, this unique Chinese girl name means “pear blossom.”
More Unique and Rare Chinese Female Names
We’ve compiled a list of a few other unique and rare girl names you may want to keep in mind when choosing a name for your little angel.
|59.||Susu||SOO-SOO||A slight sound|
|60.||Xing Xing||SHEENG-SHEENG||Twin stars|
Cool Female Chinese Names
A cool or edgy name can have so much character and bring a lot of personality. If that’s the direction you hope to go while picking a name for your little one, check out this list of cool Chinese woman names. You’ll be sure to find a name you love among these options, which include meanings like “black jade,” “cannibar,” and “laurel beauty.”
61. Baozhai. Pronounced BOW-CHAI, this cool and unique Chinese baby name for girls means “stockade of treasures.” If you hope for your girl to be adventurous, this is a well-fitting name.
62. Bi. Meaning “green jade,” this is a good pick for a cool name. It’s short and sweet and can pair perfectly with a second name.
63. Biyu. This cool name means “jasper,” and if you have any idea about the stone, you know how precious this name is. Jasper is a yellow, red, brown, or green precious stone that’s used in many cultures to provide physical and spiritual protection.
64. China. Meaning “filled with affection,” China is a sweet name for a little baby girl.
65. Daiyu. Another of the jade names is Daiyu, which means “black jade.” This has an edgier tone yet with a nice ring to it.
66. Dandan. If you want to pay homage to ancient Chinese history, this might be a great name choice! Dandan in Chinese means “cinnabar,” which is a brick-red form of mercury sulfide. In Chinese history, it was believed to have magical powers that were often linked to immortality.
67. Guiying. Another cool Chinese name for a woman associated with immortality and long life is Guiying. It means “laurel beauty,” referring to the evergreen Mediterranean tree.
68. Jiayi. Pronounced CHYA-EE, this cool Chinese name for girls means “lucky one.” With a name like this, your precious girl is set to have lots of luck!
69. Lisha. Meaning “sweet,” Lisha is the Chinese version of the name Lisa, which is a popular girls’ name in many countries. If your daughter has Chinese heritage but was born or lives in Canada, this might be a great name choice.
70. Ming-Yue. This cute and cool name for girls means “bright moon.” The moon represents gentleness and peace in Chinese culture.
More Cool Chinese Female Names
Need more inspiration for good Chinese baby names for a girl? Check out this list of additional options we’ve compiled.
Cute Chinese Girl Names
If you’re looking for a cute name to match your precious little girl, the list below is for you! Read on to get inspiration on cute Chinese names for girls.
81. Ah Kum. Meaning “as good as gold,” this is a really cute name for a little girl.
82. Lai. Another cute name for a little girl that means “future,” Lai is a fitting choice if you see nothing but the best ahead for your girl.
83. Li jing. If you have a sweet girl on your hands, this is the perfect name. It means “beautiful spirit” and is pronounced LEE-CHEENG.
84. Li na. A Chinese name that means “beautiful or graceful,” this is a nice choice for girls and is pronounced LEE-NAH.
85. Li wei. This option comes with the same meaning as Li na and works well for a Chinese girl name that’s cute and unique. It’s pronounced LEE-WAY.
86. Liena. Perfect for a beautiful little girl, Liena means “as beautiful as a lotus flower.”
87. Mei Lien. Pronounced MAY-LEEN, Mei Lien means “beautiful lotus.” It could be a winner if you’re a lover of nature and flower names for girls.
88. Mey. This cute Chinese name for girls means “pretty.” Short and sweet, it's a lovely option for your daughter.
89. Mui. If you value sisterhood, this is a great name choice for your little bundle of joy! It means “sister” and is also a Vietnamese name.
90. Shu. Meaning “warmhearted,” this is a great name choice for a sweet girl.
More Cute Chinese Girl Names
Here’s an extra list of cute Chinese female names you may want to keep in mind for your little angel.
|94.||Xia||SHYAH||Glow of the sunrise|
|95.||Xiao Hong||SHYOW-KHUWNG||A morning rainbow|
Strong Chinese Girl Names
While most Chinese baby girl names mean things like “beauty,” “fragrance,” or “love,” there are still other options that are strong and fierce. If this is how you plan to raise your little girl, any one of these strong names can be a great choice for her.
101. Daxia. Meaning “great Xia,” this an ancient name that represented a wealthy region in the third century BCE. With this name, fortune and wealth may follow your little girl.
102. Feng-po-po. Representing the “goddess of the wind,” this is a strong and powerful name for a little girl.
103. Leizu. Another name with strong symbolism is Leizu. It means “silkworm mother” and was the name of a Chinese empress who discovered silkworms. If you hope your little girl grows up to be an explorer or discoverer, this may be the right name.
104. Qi. Meaning “enlightenment” or “life force,” this is a strong and powerful Chinese baby girl name.
105. Tai. A common Hebrew name meaning “a dew from paradise,” Tai in Chinese means “great extreme.” It’s a mighty name for a little girl.
106. Wan. Wan is a sweet yet powerful name for girls that can mean “graceful,” “gentle,” or “elegant.”
107. Wei. A very popular Chinese girl name, Wei is also very powerful. With this name, your daughter will have notable namesakes like fashion model Wei Song, composer Dou Wei, and actress Tang Wei.
108. Wen. Meaning “literate,” this an excellent choice for a bright little girl!
109. Ying. Pronounced EENG, Ying means “brave beauty.” It’s a great name for any little girl.
110. Si Yu. Meaning “think and speak,” this is a virtuous name and a wonderful choice.
More Strong Chinese Girl Names
If you’ve enjoyed the list of strong Chinese girl names, take a look at the list below. We’ve compiled a list of more names that embody strength and would be perfect for strong and fierce little girl.
|111.||Anhe||AN-KHU||Peaceful water lily|
|117.||Monchou||MON-CHO||Free of sadness|
|118.||Wangshu||WAHNG-SHOO||Hope and comfortable|
|119.||Yingyue||YING-UE||Moon/reflection of the moon|
Short and Long Chinese Girl Names
If you haven’t yet decided between a short or long name, we’ve compiled a list of short and long options that you may interest you! These range from cute and unique Chinese girl names to more powerful and ancient choices.
121. Diu. This short Chinese name for girls means “practical.” While it’s not on the list of beautiful or pretty Chinese names with meanings, it’s still a great choice for your girl, as practicality is an important virtue.
122. Fen-Fang. Meaning “fragrant,” this is a sweet name for girls. It's pronounced FUN-FAHNG.
123. Gho. This cute and short Chinese girl name means "inspiration." If you believe that your little one is destined for leadership and greatness, this is one of the best names!
124. Suyin. Meaning “simple-sounding,” this is a cute and simple Chinese name for a girl.
125. Ya. Another name with a really good meaning is Ya, which means “elegant, graceful, or refined.”
126. Yahui. This cute Chinese name for girls is a combination of two names: Ya, which means “elegant, graceful, or refined,” and Hui, which means “favor” or “benefit.”
127. Yaling. One other name that’s made of two names is Yaling. Ling means “tinkling of jade,” and Ya means “elegant, graceful, or refined.” This sophisticated name is fitting for a precious little girl.
128. Yi. This short name for girls means “suitable” or “proper.” In Chinese, it can also mean “decisive,” “firm,” “righteousness,” “joy,” or “harmony,” depending on how it’s written.
129. Zhihao. Another wonderful name you may want to consider is Zhihao, which is made from the names Zhi and Hao. Zhi means “wisdom” or “intellect,” and Hao means “brave, heroic, and chivalrous.”
130. Zhou. This name for girls means “boat or ship” and can be an interesting name for your little girl.
More Short and Long Chinese Girl Names
Need more inspiration? Consider this list of names below.
|131.||Chun Hua||CHWUN-KHWAH||Spring grace|
|132.||Hui Ying||KHWAY-EENG||Clever beauty|
|133.||Hui Fen||KHWAY-FUN||Wise scent|
|134.||Jia Li||CHYAH-LEE||Good and beautiful|
|135.||Qiao Hui||CHIAO- HUEI||Smart, wise|
|136.||Shi Yun||SHEE-UYN||Poem cloud|
|137.||Xiao Dan||SHI-OW-||Little dawn|
|140.||Yi Ran||EE-RAN||Joy and bright|
Chinese Boy and Girl Names
Gender-neutral names are great for a variety of reasons! They could be just what you're looking for if you don’t yet know the baby’s gender, or if you’re having girl and boy twins and want similar names for them. We’ve put together a list of Chinese baby boy and girl names that may be a perfect choice for you.
141. Da. Meaning “achieve,” “vast,” and “high,” Da is a wonderful name to guide your little one to great achievements in life.
142. Rong. Pronounced RUWNG, this Chinese name for girls and boys means “flourish, prosper” or “honour.” It’s a great choice for a strong and powerful name.
143. Shui. This cute name is perfect for water-loving parents. If you love the ocean or the sea, this name will be a delightful pick! It’s pronounced SHWAY and means “water.”
144. Shun. Meaning “obey, submit,” Shun, pronounced SHWUN, is also a wonderful name choice.
145. Su. If you believe that less is more, this name may just be for you. Su can mean “plain, simple” or “respectful,” all of which are great attributes. In Turkish, Su also means “water.”
146. Xia. Believe you have a little star in the making? Then this is a fantastic name choice for you! It can mean “great, grand” or “summer.” It's the perfect Chinese name if you love the sunny season.
147. Xue. If your little girl is arriving during the colder months, this name can be a great fit. It means “snow” and will give your winters a whole new meaning. This name is pronounced SHWEH.
148. Zan. This sweet and short name means “support,” “favor,” or “praise.” It’s pronounced TSAHN.
149. Zhen. This adorable name means “rare, genuine, or precious,” and is pronounced CHUN. It’s a wonderful choice because it can reflect how you feel about your little one!
150. Zhong. Pronounced CHUWNG, this is a fantastic pick for a Chinese girls’ name. It can mean “loyalty,” “middle,” or “devotion.”
Even More Chinese Girl Names
If you’re looking for even more popular, common, unique, cute, and strong Chinese names for girls, consider the names listed below.
|More Chinese Girl Names|
FAQS AT A GLANCE
Some of the most popular Chinese girl names in China are Ai meaning “love,” Fang meaning “fragrance,” Jing meaning “calm,” Li meaning “pretty,” Min meaning “clever,” and Xiu meaning “elegant.” Other popular girls’ names in China are Ya, Hua, Fen, Chun, and Mei. But our list has 200 names, so you have plenty of options!
In Chinese culture, there are a few different ways to choose a child’s name. Our article reveals a few different ways, but one of them is based on a fortune teller’s prediction, and another is the time of birth.
There are a few girl names in Chinese that mean “pretty.” Our list has 200 options in total, but girl names that literally mean “pretty” include Li, Mey, and Qiao.
The Bottom Line
Similar to Japanese girl names, Chinese names for girls can hold so much importance for families. This can be said for most Asian girl names. The names that are chosen can represent what the families value or even desire. A Chinese name would be a great way of honouring your Chinese heritage or the culture. Whether you’re looking for a name that’s unique or popular, long or short, modern or traditional, Chinese names give you so many great choices!
If you’re also interested in names in other categories or languages, take a look at our list of Spanish girl names, Irish girl names or even French girl names.
Regardless of which name you settle on, it will be a great choice and a name your little girl will grow to love! While you decide on a name, don’t forget to download the Pampers Club app so you don’t miss out on any deals or rewards on your next diaper purchases!